Friday, November 23, 2018

What are you Thankful for?

On yesterday most of you celebrated a day that the U.S. calls, "Thanksgiving". We in the enlightened world call it, "ThanksTaking". How can you really be thankful for a day that celebrates foreigners invading people's land and taking it over? White so-called "settlers" arrived from Europe and as part of their nature they raped and murdered the natives of this country. I could do a whole history lesson on Thanksgiving, but I want to discuss something a little deeper. What are you thankful for, and why do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

Last Sunday I had a get-together at my house that had nothing to do with a holiday or religion. It had all to do with love, at least on my end. I can't say the reasoning for my family attending, but my reason for having the get-together was to spend time with the people I love... my family. I don't need made up days or white society to tell me when to love and when to celebrate, or even WHAT to celebrate. I'm thankful and grateful for everyday because each day is an opportunity to spread knowledge and try to liberate my people. David Banner (my future husband) made a great point in his Twitter post yesterday; as black folks all it takes for us is a day off and some food and we'll bow down to whatever society says. He also added, "You say you're with God but you celebrate a demon's day. Are you thankful for what they did? What do we stand on or for?' Brother Malcolm X said, " A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."

In 1862 Virginia passed an act that combined Native Americans and Africans (African Americans) into one category as "Negroes and other slaves". Did you know that some black people are actually descendants of natives of this country? There were Native Americans, or Indians as we like to call them here in the south. They were killed or shipped to concentration camps. Lake Lanier is a huge Indian burial ground. Waters from the Chattahoochee swallowed the natives and buried them alive underneath the water. I guess that would make Lake Lanier a sacred burial ground that white people love to invade. Some people (black people especially) can't see past the facade of pagan days, religious days, man-made days. As long as we get a "day off and some food" we're good. We even celebrate days that are detriMENTAL and harmful to us.

What are you really thankful for? Do you need a special made-up day to celebrate love, family, life? I'm planning another get-together for next month to celebrate my grandmother's 89th bEARTHday and my grandson's 10th. Their birthdays are just days before Christmas, but who needs to celebrate a white man who is obviously not coming to save us? I'd rather celebrate the people in my life who are special to me, and those that I know love me. I'm thankful and grateful for life, love, family, my business, and knowledge. What I know can't be "unknown", but what I learned can be "unlearned". As a people if we're going to be strong and unite we have to let go of these European holidays and mindsets. Put your mind to work on your family, your health, and your business. Create your own special days for you and your family. What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment