Thursday, December 27, 2018

Self Determination


www.tauheedahmichelle.michelebarard.com
What is Self Determination? Self Determination is defined as the process by which a person controls their own life. Another definition of Self Determination is; freedom to live as one chooses, or to act or decide without consulting another or others. Determination by oneself without outside influence. In plain words Self Determination means, the ability or power to make decisions for yourself, especially the power of a nation of people to decide how it will be governed. Kujichagulia is the second principle of Kwanzaa. We are encouraged to define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves, and speak for ourselves. 

We don't need society, or any other group of people to determine who and what we are, or what we'll be. Kwanzaa is a time for us as a people to come together and make plans for ourselves and families. Kwanzaa for me, is not just something I celebrate once a year. The 7 Kwanzaa Principles have become a way of life. I have always been different, but I haven't always acknowledged that. I used to try to fit in with friends and family. I did things that I really didn't enjoy or want to do just to fit in. I allowed others to determine who I was and what I did. So many of us look to magazines, friends, and social media as the blueprint of our lives. Self definition shouldn't be something we only embrace on December 27th. Since going on a soul search about 3 years ago; I have learned to incorporate every Kwanzaa Principle into my life. Yesterday's principle was Umoja, Unity. I try to come up with family events that have nothing to do with holidays or birthdays. I create times where my family and I can get together, eat, talk, laugh, and love on one another. Unity is the whole premise of Kwanzaa. I patronize black owned businesses every chance I get. I started my own black business, "Purple Poet Publishing LLC". My personal goal is to create black history every day. I don't just celebrate black history during the month of February. I practice Kuumba, Creativity. I write poems and books. I paint, and I like to plan events. I am determined to make a name for myself in this world.

Kwanzaa is also a time to recognize and embrace the elders. Last Friday my maternal grandmother celebrated her 89th solar return. I have learned so much from my grandmama. I learned how to cook, how to save money, how to be wise with money, and she has shared her wisdom with me and my children. When I was younger my grandmama would tell me stories about her childhood. I love listening to that history. In other cultures people throw away their elders. It's good to know that most black people still take care of their elderly loved ones; while others place them in a home. Since talking to a good friend of mine about our lineage, I am more determined to find out where I come from. My dad's family is from Madison and Washington Georgia. My mom's family is from Woodland and Wedowee Alabama. Georgia and Alabama were originally populated by Native Americans; who were indigenous black people to this land. We are responsible for naming ourselves and determining who we are. I'm not sure which tribe I'm from yet; whether from Africa or the Americas. Either way, I decide who I am. I'm a queen, a goddess, and my friend helped me to overstand that I'm an empress. I control and rule myself and my territory.

Happy Kwanzaa!!!... Peace & Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment