Sunday, February 24, 2019

Fibroids in Black Women and Book Update

Peace and Blessings fam, I'm back! I was in the hospital earlier this week having surgery to rid my body of fibroids. I'm not at 100 percent yet, but I'm getting there. I found out I had fibroids in 2009, and it took 10 years to do something about them. The symptoms got progressively worse, so that prompted me to take action. In 2009 I only had 2 fibroids, by the time I had them removed I had 4 large fibroids and several smaller ones. A few years ago I started researching fibroids and their causes. I found that black women and some native women are more likely to suffer with fibroids than whites and other groups. I set out to find out why. I read studies on WebMD, blackdoctor.org, in doctor's offices and anywhere I could find information. I read that fibroids in black women could be attributed to hair relaxers and unhealthy eating habits among other things. Three years ago I did the Big Chop and stopped using relaxers on my hair. Two years ago I set out on a journey to eat healthier. This year I began my journey as a vegan; cutting out all animal products.

Lack of exercise(yoga)  and obesity can also attribute to growing fibroids. Over the years we were fed so much misinformation. We were told that diabetes, high blood pressure, and fibroids were hereditary. That is not entirely true. We were taught how to eat by the family we were raised in. Eating pork, beef, chicken with hormones, and anything that comes from animals contributed to us having diabetes, high blood pressure, and fibroids. Had I been raised as a vegan my body would naturally fight off foreign substances like fibroids. As black women we must take our power back when it comes to our bodies and health. We must inform and educate ourselves. As a people we must take control of our bodies and health. Fibroids are non-cancerous tumors that grow inside and outside of a woman's uterus. They can cause painful urination, pain during sex, heavy menstrual bleeding, and excessive periods. A plant based diet, exercise, and yoga can help eradicate fibroids. Essential oils and healing crystals can also help to keep your body and hormones in balance. I will be doing a Purple Poet Sunday Live next Sunday with a little more in-depth information on fibroids in black women. Make sure you're tuned in at 12:30 on Facebook and Instagram.

I just want to throw in a plug about my latest book, "Black Poetry and Soul Consciousness". The cover is done, and it is gorgeous! The cover designer did and awesome job designing the cover. The book will be done by the end of the month. Keep your eyes and ears open for book signings and the Atlanta Summer Bookstore Tour. Peace & Blessings Kings and Queens

No comments:

Post a Comment